The University of Delhi is planning to make three major changes in the admission process.

First is that DU will opt for online counselling this session. As per the latest reports, initially, DU Admission 2018 online counselling will be applicable for admission to 10 Undergraduate and all the Postgraduate courses.

While this is a good news for the students, the University also plans limit DU cutoffs to five and conduct aptitude test for admission in certain courses.

Why will DU hold online counselling?

The decision to go online was taken after analyzing and approving to the reports submitted by the sub-committee. The main reason due to which the University has decided to abandon the years old offline counselling is prolonged admission process often cause by unrealistic cutoffs. Admission form for DU 2018 is expected to start in May.

The University has formed a sub-committee to look for the feasibility of online counselling and now that the decision has been taken, the committee will carry out the process.

To successfully conduct online counselling, DU will develop a new software. It will allow students to select 10 colleges, as per their marks in the Board exams and cutoff. After choosing the courses, the applicant will be directed to the college for which they have applied.

This year, the online counselling will be carried out as a pilot experiment, to check the success ratio of the changed counselling process. If the counselling for the current session concludes smoothly, from next year onwards it will be followed for all the courses. This will be quite beneficial for the students. A single online platform will make the process easy and more organized.

Students cheer online counselling, but jeer 5 cut off limitation

While the students cheer the initiative for online counselling, many fear that restricting the number of the cutoff list to five will be disadvantageous. Schedule of DU admission 2018 will probably release in April.

Last year, the DU released 11 cutoff list and the process was carried on even after the beginning of classes in June.

By limiting the cutoffs, the University aims to ensure that all the admissions are done before the starting of classes.

The process of DU Admission will now be similar to that of engineering. Candidates who will Clear the cutoff, gets the admission.

As per the news reports, an official source told that after the fifth counselling round, all the colleges will submit the details of vacant seats, in each subject. Then, to fill the vacant seats, a centralized counselling will be held. In the centralized counselling round, the seats will be filled on the basis of class 12th marks.

Aptitude test for DU Admission 2018? Mixed response

The official statement for the admission through Aptitude Test has not been announced yet but the reports have been making rounds for some time now. The purpose of conducting the exam is to delimit students with lesser aptitude and make the cutoff more realistic.

The University is planning to conduct the entrance test for the admission in Mathematics, English, Economics, and Computer Science subjects. The questions in the exam will be of multiple choice type. 75% of the questions will be asked from the respective subject, whereas, remaining 25% of questions will be asked from language, reasoning, and aptitude.

DU offered admission in numerous courses. More than 2 lakh students apply for the admission every year. The initiative of online counselling will benefit the student in many ways but decreasing the number of cutoff from 11 to 5 can make the admission process intense.

What are your views on these new initiatives by Delhi Univesity? Will you go for the online counselling or would prefer to be part of the traditional offline counselling? Also, is it fair to issue only 5 cutoff list and finish the admission in a much compact manner? Let us know your thoughts, speak up your mind. Comment below!

2 COMMENTS

Tell us your thoughts in the comment section below.