The National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) 2021 is going to be held on September 12, 2021. The application process for the same will start from tomorrow, i.e July 13, 2021, from 5 pm onwards. Interested candidates can apply for the entrance test online from the official website of the National Testing Agency (NTA), which is, neet.nta.nic.in.
NEET was earlier scheduled to be held on August 01, 2021. However, it was deferred due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan while announcing the new exam date for NEET 2021 also said that “In order to ensure social distancing norms, the number of cities where the examination will be conducted has been increased from 155 to 198.”
More than 15 lakh medical aspirants appear for the national level medical entrance test – NEET-UG every year. With respect to the NEET 2021 syllabus, the Ministry of Education had earlier clarified that the entrance tests will be held as per the syllabus determined by NTA irrespective of the reduction in the 2021 board exam syllabus.
To apply for NEET 2021 candidates have to first do registration, fill up the application form, upload the scanned images, pay fees, and then print the confirmation page.
All Indian National, NRI, OCI, PIO, foreign nationals who are a minimum of 17 years of age can apply for NEET 2021. The upper age limit for NEET 2021 is subjected to the supreme court judgment. If applicable, then 25 years. Relaxation of up to 5 years for SC, ST, OBC-NCL, PWD candidates. Moreover, candidates who are intending to pursue undergraduate medical courses from a foreign medical/ dental institute also need to qualify NEET 2021.
NEET 2021 will be an offline exam with all 180 questions in the paper. The candidates are given 3 hours to complete the full paper. The total marks allotted in NEET is 720 marks. There is a total of 3 sections, they are – Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. There are 11 languages in which NEET question papers are framed – English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu. Each question carries 4 marks and for any wrong attempt candidates get a penalty of 1 mark. 45 questions are asked in Physics and Chemistry and on the other hand, 90 questions come in Biology.
Via the result of NEET 2021, candidates are selected for admission in the UG medical courses across all the colleges of the nation. NTA is only responsible for the calculation of the result and 15% AIQ rank. For the rest of the 85% seats, counselling is done by the respective counselling body.
NEET 2021 scores are mandatory for admission in MBBS / BDS Courses and in AYUSH courses like BAMS / BSMS / BUMS / BHMS. This year for the first time NEET scores has been also recommended by Indian Nursing Council or Nursing Colleges, JIPMER for admission to B.Sc. (Nursing) and B.Sc. (Life Sciences) courses as well.