|Manipal University B.Tech||Apply Now for MU OET|
|SRM University B.Tech||Apply Now for SRMJEEE|
|Times Group Bennett University||Apply Now for UG / PG Courses|
For Tamilnadu MBBS Admission 2017, starting this year, the Tamil Nadu government is working upon to give higher priority to the State Board students. The state was initially reluctant to grant MBBS and BDS admissions on the basis of NEET. However, surrendering to the SC’s order, the TN finally accepted NEET as the sole medium to fill the seat. Yet, TN being TN, improvised the situation a bit. Now, 15% All India Quota seats in the state will be filled through MCC counselling and the remaining 85% through state counselling but only with the Tamil Nadu State Board students. The State has also submitted a bill, demanding the President of India to approve appeal for grant of admission on the basis of class 12 examination. Now, if the President approves the bill before the release of state merit list then the admission will be granted on the basis of 12th score. If not, the NEET score will be considered.
What does this mean? If the order seeking a higher priority for the state government students is passed out. This would be a great loss for those students in the State who gave their Higher Secondary School examinations from other boards like CBSE. Giving higher preference to State Boards is a move directed to make students prefer the State Board education instead of the Central one. The major problem with this rule would be the fact that the residents of Tamil Nadu who belong to the CBSE would get included with the other 15%, which consists of students from outside the state as well. While the key basis for admission would still be the NEET scores, the reservation policy allows more advantages for the State Board students.
What would be the Consequences? If this rule is implemented. Those aspirants for the MBBS/BDS course who are the State residents yet have not passed out of the State Boards will face a major disadvantage. This could also lead to a sense of discrimination among such students. The signs are already visible here since there are already many petitions signed against the implementation of this rule. This rule would basically make the state boards of the highest importance in the state of Tamil Nadu and literally disqualify the importance of the education from other boards.
According to the Government, this policy would make it easier for the students of the state to Study in the field of Medicine. The Tamil Nadu Government justifies this statement with the fact that during the year 2016-2017, the total number of students appearing for NEET from Tamil Nadu was around 88,431. Out of these many, only 4,675 were from the CBSE boards, which means that around 96% of the students were from the State Boards. Another reason given is that the course structure, syllabus and the core contents of the State Board education are completely different from that of the CBSE. While the reasoning here could be somewhat justified. But if the State Boards get the highest importance in this case, then it would completely eliminate the value of the CBSE in Tamil Nadu. This is the discrimination the students and parents don’t want to see happen. Also, those few students in Tamil Nadu who have completed their 12th standard from CBSE have to deal with a lot of trouble here.
The way this is being done is some what unjustified. Not only this move belittles the importance of the various CBSE schools located in most of the Urban and some rural localities in Tamil Nadu. This event also causes a major discrimination between different types of education systems. Also, the primary motive of the Tamil Nadu government was to actually exempt itself out of the NEET exams. But since that move won’t be easy. The Government has chosen to resort to implementing their planned reservation on the selection done on the basis of NEET scores. The party which suffers the most here are the resident students who passed out of CBSE boards, for they would be made to struggle for the seats with those of the All India category students even though they have passed out from the state itself.
— Contributed by Allen Abraham
Edit: The article has been edited by the team on July 12, 2017