Medicine or MBBS is the most sort-after, prestigious and respected courses in the country. Every year, lakhs of students appear for the National Level Entrance Examination (NEET) to seek admission for MBBS in prestigious medical colleges across the country. Out of the 15 lakh that appear for the exam, merely 80,000 students get seats in government medical colleges. Thus, the atmosphere is highly competitive and candidates have to be on their ‘A’ game to achieve a good rank. Last year, the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) released the list medical colleges in the country. Considering that list, here are the top 10 medical colleges for MBBS to aim for while giving NEET 2021 along with their MBBS fees.
List of Top Medical Colleges in India
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi – Rs.6,000 approx. per year
- Christian Medical College (CMC), New Delhi – Rs.50,330 for first year; Rs. 26, 605 for remaining years
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh – Rs.10,369 per year
- Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Kochi, Kerala – Rs. 18,00,000 per year
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry – Rs.20,000-23,000 per year
- Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Manipal, Karnataka – Rs. 70,88,500 for the entire course
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh – Rs.54,600 for first year
- Madras Medical College and Government General Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu – Rs.13,600 per year along with Rs.1000 as hostel fee
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai, Tamil Nadu – Rs. 24,00,000 per year
- St. John’s Medical College, Bengaluru, Karnataka – Rs. 6,26,440 for first year and Rs. 5,70,620 for remaining years
#1 All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi –
The prestigious medical institution was established in 1956 and has consistently ranked 1 in the overall list of top medical colleges in the country. Previously, AIIMS conducted its own entrance exam for the admission process. However, in 2020, the entrance exam was scrapped, and NEET was added to the eligibility criteria. The total admission fee, including the academic and hostel fees, amounts to approximately Rs.6000 per year.
#2 Christian Medical College (CMC), New Delhi –
Ranked 3 in the Indian Rankings 2020: medical list, CMC Vellore has consistently maintained a good position among the top MBBS colleges in India. Established in 1918, the colleges offer a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses. As per the official website, the first year MBBS fee amounts to Rs. 50,330. In the later years, the admission fee is reduced to nearly half the amount of Rs. 26,605. Besides the academic fee, candidates are also expected to pay for- Mess expenses: Rs. 6,000-10,000 and Hostel caution deposit: Rs. 8,000-10,000.
#3 Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh –
Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS) is a sort-after medical college coming under the ambit of Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Uttar Pradesh. Established in 1916, the college has been ranked 6 by NIRF in the year 2020. The government medical college offers 84 seats, 15% of which are filled through the All India Quota and the remaining 85% are filled through counselling. The existing admission fee at IMS amounts to Rs.10,369 whereas the proposed fee shall amount to Rs.13,410 in case of changes in the university.
#4 Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry –
JIPMER is another medical institution along with AIIMS which used to conduct its own entrance exam for granting admission to students. Established in 1823, the college has been ranked 8 in the NIRF 2020 rankings. As per last year’s records, a student had to pay Rs.12,620 as a first-year admission fee for MBBS. Along with this, they were also required to pay Rs.20,000-23,000 as hostel fee. Out of this amount, Rs.8000 shall be refunded once the student leaves the hostel.